RE: Rear suspension

To: "'Dave Fain'" <kc3565l@sprintmail.com>
Subject: RE: Rear suspension
From: Chris De Wet <DeWetC1@sapo.co.za>
Date: Tue, 18 Nov 2003 14:30:57 +0200
Thanks for the advice Dave. Highly appreciated.

Think you are correct about the trailing arms. Most probably will be too
long. Can they be shortened without problems?

Don't mind the work if it means improving my Triumphs. A lot of parts are
being made from scratch due to the difficulty in obtaining what I need in
South Africa. Even made a new cross-shaft, oil-lite bushes etc. for my TR3's
gearbox ("transmission" in American), plus a few other upgrades. Clutch
works perfectly now..... most probably will explode now that I've mentioned
it :-)

The early Spitfire/Herald/GT6 swing axle suspension is notorious for
"tucking-in" around tight corners. Only known cure is to fit either one of
the following:
a) Camber compensator ( Unfortunately too costly to import to SA, so I have
been looking at making my own camber compensator using the bottom leaf from
an old Herald leaf spring).
b) Rotoflex rear suspension.( Only if a donor vehicle can be found in SA)
c) Swing spring (Unfortunately too costly to import. AFAIK No donor vehicles
in SA).

Is the Rotoflex rear suspension considered reliable/dependable? Can it
handle farm roads (dirt/gravel/mud/rocks/holes)? Is it easy/cheap to repair?

Chris de Wet.
PO Box 472 , Ifafi , 0260 , South Africa.

'56 TR 3, '64 Spitfire 4 (Mk1), '67 GT6 (Mk1).

My Spitfire6 project: GT6(Mk1)
bonnet/doors/chassis/brakes/suspension/engine, Spitfire(Mk2) body, 2000
Saloon gearbox with overdrive and Vitesse 3.89 differential.

" Triumphs are meant to be driven .... keep them on the road "