RE: Rear suspension

To: DeWetC1@sapo.co.za, kc3565l@sprintmail.com
Subject: RE: Rear suspension
From: "scotts junk" <smacsjunk@hotmail.com>
Date: Tue, 18 Nov 2003 09:11:59 -0600
>Think you are correct about the trailing arms. Most probably will be too
>long. Can they be shortened without problems?

Factory manual specs for the GT6 rotoflex trailing arm is 16.71 inches, for
the Vitesse Mk2 it is 14.71 inches. Cutting and adding a 2' spacer is
do-able but not easy.

>The early Spitfire/Herald/GT6 swing axle suspension is notorious for
>"tucking-in" around tight corners. Only known cure is to fit either one of
>the following:
>a) Camber compensator ( Unfortunately too costly to import to SA, so I have
>been looking at making my own camber compensator using the bottom leaf from
>an old Herald leaf spring).
>b) Rotoflex rear suspension.( Only if a donor vehicle can be found in SA)
>c) Swing spring (Unfortunately too costly to import. AFAIK No donor
>vehicles
>in SA).
>
>Is the Rotoflex rear suspension considered reliable/dependable? Can it
>handle farm roads (dirt/gravel/mud/rocks/holes)? Is it easy/cheap to
>repair?

These are easy - no, no and no, But nether is the swing arm set up when
measured by todays standards - we're talkin' LBC here :). The rotoflex has
the dubious doughnuts, the swing arms got them tiny needle bearings running
right on the axle. Pay yer money, choose yer poison.
..."(dirt/gravel/mud/rocks/holes)?" - yikes man - you only got about 4"
ground clearance to work with, spits were never really meant for Paris -
Dakar type motoring. Plan on getting used to the sound of the undertray
clanging off lumps in the trail.

The easiest set up is likely a homebuilt camber compenstator. Unless you are
questing after the unholy grail of ultimate cornering grip (a truly elusive
task in any case, worse with the Spit / GT6 rear suspension options), the
clamped swing arm should work OK.

cheers
Scott