Re: Why on earth an empty gas can? (Re: New to the list)

To: spitfires@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Why on earth an empty gas can? (Re: New to the list)
From: "Dr. John Faustus" <dr_faustus@pcisys.net>
Date: Thu, 25 Mar 2004 02:17:21 -0700
At 08:13 3/25/2004 +0000, Michael Hargreave Mawson wrote:
>It isn't illegal in UK, but it may be elsewhere for all I know.   You can
>get explosion-proof petrol cans (filled with a sort of steel-wire foam)
>that reduce the danger to nil.   I've got one.   And I've never had to
>make that long trudge to the petrol station. :-)
>
>ATB
>--
>Mike

If you do carry a gas can, it's a good idea to keep that gas fresh.  When I
pull up to the station I empty my can in to the tank, then top it off
again.  This way the gas can is only one tank old all the time.

I got in to the habit of carrying a gas can before I fixed my gas level
sender unit.  I did get really good at estimating how empty I was by sound
and mileage though.

Andy