Re: Rhyming slang & insults (RE: Dished Pistons)

To: spitfires list <spitfires@Autox.Team.Net>
Subject: Re: Rhyming slang & insults (RE: Dished Pistons)
From: Emiel Rorije <emiel.rorije@terra.es>
Date: Thu, 25 Nov 2004 18:05:06 +0100
Being dutch I have always been told that the people founding New York
(formerly known as New Amsterdam) were called Yankees, because the most
prevalent names in Dutch were (back in those days) Jan (John) and Kees
(no english equivalent?) and some would even be calles Jan-Kees. And
then Peter Stuijvesant (a dutch guy) sold New Amsterdam (Manhattan) in
exchange for Surinam.... not the best of deals in retrospect.

it also explains why the nickname Yankee is more attached to New Yorkers
than to the whole of the US.
So Yankee is really not an insult I would think. But inappropriate as a
name for all americans.

Anyone with a different explanation: please correct me if I am wrong,
it4s just what I have been told!

best,
Emiel (a not-so typical, but Dutch name).