Re: 1980 Spitfire Head

To: elliottr@rmi.net, spitfires@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: 1980 Spitfire Head
From: Cwn74@aol.com
Date: Thu, 11 May 2006 20:29:37 EDT
In a message dated 5/8/2006 5:42:53 P.M. Eastern Daylight Time,
elliottr@rmi.net writes:

I am  considering having the head on my Spitfire milled down to give me a
little  more compression.  It is a stock 80 head so it is currently about 7.5
1.  I am thinking of taking it to about 9 to 1.  Can anyone tell me  how much
I would need to take off to get it to that compression?

If I  do have it milled down, do I need to get shorter pushrods or is that
within  normal adjustment.

When I built up my 1300 small journal engine back in the 70's (it  came out
of a 68 Mk3) I used the Competition Prep Manual as a guide.
They called for milling .110", I milled .100"
GT6 stock pistons (flat) gave me .040" overbore

This doesn't help much for an '80.... but the heads had a lot more to take
off...
Check the Comp manual for more info for the newer 1500's
Oil pump mods too!

Clark

74 Spitfire, 71 Stag
"Reality... it's  not what you think"
Clark W. Nicholls
CWNicholls@aol.com
_www.cwnicholls.com_ (http://www.cwnicholls.com/)
fax: 419-844-7564  (yes, 419 provided free by efax.com)
phone:  413-243-3433

===     http://www.vtr.org