Clutch repair options

To: spitfires@autox.team.net (Spitfires)
Subject: Clutch repair options
From: s1500@comcast.net
Date: Thu, 27 Jul 2006 17:05:20 +0000
Taking it out last night for ice cream was fun, kinda. But that clutch is
driving me nuts. If a clutch slips over a certain RPMs(regardless of gear), is
it simply time for a new one? If that is so, I am willing to accept that.

But the question is the approach I take on it.

Can the transmission be removed without taking apart 99% of the interior? Ie
can it be nicely "dropped" down from underneath? If I can do that, I would
replace the clutch and be tempted to fix any tranny problems it has during the
winter. It often "buzzes" going from second to third and I can feel a vibration
on the gearshift lever. Downshifting to second is no fun either. If I'm not
gentle, it buzzes as well.

Anyways, back to the clutch. Double-clutching doesn't remedy the situation. it
only "thunks" back into gear when I let down the RPMs.

Or would it be more worthwhile just to pull the engine? Of course I have to
procure a cherry picker, etc but I would have good access to the clutch.

I don't have the haynes or Bentley manual on me(I'm at work), so I'm just
feeling out for info. It's a late model overdrive transmission.

--
http://infaux.net

===     http://www.vtr.org