Re: sagging rear/advice

To: Dennis Reese <dennis_reese@verizon.net>
Subject: Re: sagging rear/advice
From: Barry Schwartz <v6spitfireguy@cox.net>
Date: Tue, 31 Oct 2006 04:03:25 -0800
Standard shocks do nothing to support the weight of the car.  Even gas
filed ones don't have enough pressure to do much if anything.  The gas is
there to control foaming.  Standard shocks only control the resonance of
the spring.  The spring is what holds the car up so if the rear is sagging,
then a spring replacement is the only cure -

>My '77 Spit has a pronounced driver's side sag in the rear. Fixing it
>is next on my list and I'm wondering if new shocks will take care of
>it (recommendations? - I'm doing that anyway regardless) or do I need
>to replace the spring?

Barry Schwartz
La Mesa, CA (San Diego)