Re: sagging rear/advice

To: spitlist@cox.net, jimmuller@rcn.com, spitfires@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: sagging rear/advice
From: zoboherald@aol.com
Date: Tue, 31 Oct 2006 11:25:34 -0500
-----Original Message-----
From: spitlist@cox.net

Actually it was Feb 73 when that change ocurred (serial number 50,000
accordin g to Thomason).  I meant to type "Mid MkIV" production instead
of
Mid 71....

==AM==
Youre' forgiven; perhaps another fluif spill on the keyboard? :-)

Unfortunately, I can't check my copy of Thomason; it's on loan to a
good friend who bought a really nice '70 GT6+ a couple months ago. Does
Thomason quote commission number change points for anything other than
the home market FH series? The Federal 1500s for the 1973 model year
began with FM 1 U and future. I don't have an original factory Spare
Parts Catalogue for that era of Spitfire, nor do I know offhand exactly
on what date the FM series production began, but I'm pretty sure all
such cars have the longer axles.

Not to belabor the point, but I can see how the longer axles could
contribute to the problem. I still think that it might have gotten
worse still with the ever-heavier Federal cars, though. Either way, it
also seems rather typical of British Leyland during that period not to
have properly dealt with the problem by specifying an already available
(from the late GT6) heavier-duty spring. But then, perhaps the problem
seldom showed itself during any warranty period. ;-)

--Andy  Mace

*Mrs Irrelevant: Oh, is it a jet?
*Man: Well, no ... It's not so  much of a jet, it's more your, er,
Triumph Herald engine with  wings.
 -- Cut-price Airlines Sketch, Monty Python's Flying Circus  (22)

Check out the North American Triumph Sports 6 (Vitesse 6) and Triumph
Herald Database at its new URL: <http://triumph-herald.us>
across the web, free AOL Mail and more.

===     http://www.vtr.org