Re: 3 point belts

To: Ron Soave <redlotus@spacey.net>
Subject: Re: 3 point belts
From: Ulix Goettsch <ulix@u.washington.edu>
Date: Sat, 6 Dec 1997 20:03:31 -0800 (PST)
Cc: spridgets@Autox.Team.Net
Sender: owner-spridgets@Autox.Team.Net
On Fri, 5 Dec 1997, Ron Soave wrote:

> Anyone installed 3 point retractable belts in a Bugeye?  The Evil Moss
> Empire shows a kit for $153.95 each.  Has anyone found a cheaper/better
> equivalent?  How about mounting points? I know inertia reels are sensitive
> to orientation for obvious reasons.  My little guy (age 5) has formed "Team
> Bugeye (no little brother allowed)", and he's in the car way too often to
> be in lap belts only.

Does the Bugeye have attachment point of the wheel well for the shoulder
belt?
On my '67, I first installed the $40 static (non inertia-reel) belts sold
by Moss (someone recently said that JCW sells the same ones for less), but
don't like them because they constantly have to be adjusted to be snug
(and I believe they will only help if they are snug) and they often get
caught in the door, behind the seats etc.  Also, if you have oil-soaked
carpet from a leaky transmission, the belt will fall on the floor next to
the seat, get oily and then clothes will get oily.
I recently installed the factory 3-point intia-reel belts from my '79
parts car.  They come with a special bracket so that the retraction box
sits upright on top of the wheel well.  They are great with none of the
previous problems.  The best part:  I will hopefully get two brand new
ones through the Rover seatbelt recall.  The old ones work but the
retraction force is a little weak.

Oh, BTW, VB sells the (probably) same-as-Moss belts for ~$90 w/o the
needed bracket.

                                                           '67 Sprite