Re: 3 point belts

To: Craig Soich <casoich@sgi.net>, spridgets@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: Re: 3 point belts
From: Gregory Kirk <gkirk@empirenet.com>
Date: Sun, 07 Dec 1997 15:24:31 -0800
Sender: owner-spridgets@Autox.Team.Net
Inertial seat belts are those with the spring loaded retractor that lock in
an impact, the non inertail types are the older kind, just an adjustable
belt that holds you in place.

I do use a fair number of junkyard parts for varius things, but I guess
when it comes to safety related items I just don;t feel comfortable pulling
them out of a wreck, but that's a personal opinion.  Seats will show
deterioration in the upholstery long before the structural components go
bad, but I'd be concerned about safely mounting them so they don't pop
loose in a crash.  A friend's girlfrind was driving a pick with modified
seats when it crashed, the seat pulled loose of the mounting and threw her
back and up against a beam.  She spent months in recovery from the head
injury.

Greg

At 04:56 PM 12/6/97 -0400, you wrote:

>Gregory Kirk wrote:
>
>> MOss sells a non innertial 3 point belt which was a snap to install in my
>> Mk1 Midget.  Goth them 'cause I have a real dish of a blonde haired blue
>> eyed co- pilot with me, a wee bit younger than the car though.. all of 8.
>> The were about $40 apeice as I recall.
>>
>> I'm not comfortable using a junkyard part for safety related items, seat
>> belts do degrade with age and wear, and while they are over engineered, I
>> figure that 80 bucks is a cheap price to pay for peace of mind. YMMV.
>>
>> oh yeah... she's decided that it's her car.
>>
>> Greg
>
>What does that mean 'non innertial'? I agree that $40 isn't a bad price.
As for
>junkyard stuff, cars in a junkyard aren't necessarily old and deteriorated. I
>happen to be a regular at the junkyards near me. Picked up a set of high back
>bucket seats for $5 a bucket and they're like brand new. For certain things,
>you just stick to the cars that are the new arrivals, you know?
>
>Amy
>67 Sprite Mk IV
>78 Scout II

"But I, being poor, have only my dreams;
 I have spread my dreams under your feet;
 Tread softly because you tread on my dreams."
                                  Yeats