Dumb Question

To: Spridgets@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: Dumb Question
From: tobisj@aud.alcatel.com (Shawn J. Tobin)
Date: Mon, 8 Dec 97 13:13:15 CST
Sender: owner-spridgets@Autox.Team.Net
"There's no such thing as a stupid question--only stupid answers"--unkn

I'm no expert on Weber conversions but I've read...

1)  You can't expect to use the vacuum advance on your distributor when
using a Weber.  (A shame as it helps economy during cruising)

2)  The vent on the rocker cover is an inlet and should be filtered
using a small clamp-on filter like a K&N.  In lieu of that, fit a
later 1275cc valve cover with appropriately vented filler cap or I guess
you could plug it maybe.

3)  The vent tube or "road draft tube" is designed to pull the blow-by
gasses out of the crankcase and is an early attempt at Positive Crankcase
Ventilation (PCV).  A slight negative pressure is necessary on the
crankcase of any A-series motor to prevent oil from seeping out the
rear main seal.  Alternatives to the draft tube are either a gulp valve
fitted to the intake manifold like the '67 models used or dragracers
often plumb a rearward angled tube into the header collector to draw
the fumes out of the crankcase (unknown if the latter has been done on
our engines).

Moral:  You need PCV in your engine.

Just my opinion,
Shawn