Fw: Dumb Question

To: "Sprite List" <spridgets@Autox.Team.Net>
Subject: Fw: Dumb Question
From: "Jeff Church" <jchurch@exis.net>
Date: Mon, 8 Dec 1997 16:33:45 -0500
Sender: owner-spridgets@Autox.Team.Net
>>"There's no such thing as a stupid question--only stupid answers"--unkn

How true.

>>I'm no expert on Weber conversions but I've read...
>>1)  You can't expect to use the vacuum advance on your distributor when
>>using a Weber.  (A shame as it helps economy during cruising)

I'm not using the Weber for this purpose. I'm using the Gannon intake
manifold. It has a small port on the top side that accepted the vacuum tube
perfectly.

>>2)  The vent on the rocker cover is an inlet and should be filtered
>>using a small clamp-on filter like a K&N.  In lieu of that, fit a
>>later 1275cc valve cover with appropriately vented filler cap or I guess
>>you could plug it maybe.

I am already using a K&N. It is the large one though with no hole in it.

>>3)  The vent tube or "road draft tube" is designed to pull the blow-by
>>gasses out of the crankcase and is an early attempt at Positive Crankcase
>>Ventilation (PCV).  A slight negative pressure is necessary on the
>>crankcase of any A-series motor to prevent oil from seeping out the
>>rear main seal.  Alternatives to the draft tube are either a gulp valve
>>fitted to the intake manifold like the '67 models used or dragracers
>>often plumb a rearward angled tube into the header collector to draw
>>the fumes out of the crankcase (unknown if the latter has been done on
>>our engines).
>>Moral:  You need PCV in your engine.

Is it likely that the short tube (without the extension) is providing
marginal PVC?

Jeff