Re: Dumb Question

To: "Jeff Church" <jchurch@exis.net>
Subject: Re: Dumb Question
From: "Ron Soave" <redlotus@spacey.net>
Date: Sun, 7 Dec 1997 09:25:57 -0500
Cc: <spridgets@Autox.Team.Net>
Sender: owner-spridgets@Autox.Team.Net
Hi Jeff,

> crankcase breather tube on the tappet cover (you know, the early
emissions
> device that gets suction from the draft blowing across the tube).

As I understand it (corrections welcomed):
This is not an emissions device - it's only an exhaust vent.  AH, MG, et al
weren't thinking about emissions in 1959 (nor very much after that, judging
by the piece of crap emissions systems on my later MGs and Triumphs that
were immediately removed, not to mention 2 catalytic converter fires on 2
different Lotus Esprits).  The valve cover tube is an inlet, not an exhaust
vent.  It goes to the carb air cleaner only for air-filtration purposes.
There is no EGR or PCV recirc on early cars.

Good luck-

Ron