Re: Header & Exhaust

Subject: Re: Header & Exhaust
From: Ulix Goettsch <ulix@u.washington.edu>
Date: Mon, 23 Feb 1998 10:02:19 -0800 (PST)
Cc: "'spridge'" <spridgets@Autox.Team.Net>
Sender: owner-spridgets@Autox.Team.Net
Spitfiget owners:
The best sound I have heard from this engine is my buddy's Spit 1500 on
which we installed a Sprite muffler for an early 1275 (single muffler
system -> my car).  This muffler is available from SICP for next to
nothing.  It has small diameter piping, but is a straight through design.
It sounds great on my car, but due to the added displacement of the 1500,
the sound is brutal.  I believe that it is the thin piping causing high
flow rate that makes it sound so good.  Where aftermarket systems often
produce a low rumble, this setup sounds more "trumpet-like".

I never got tired of following his car and listening to the music :)

He took it to Midas and the mechanic was happy to do some custom work for
a change.  He adapted the muffler to the thicker Spit pipe and made a
hanger for it.

Ulix, exhaust sound connoisseur

On Mon, 23 Feb 1998, Eric Mumford wrote:

> > 1) Pacesetter Header....   What are peoples thoughts... Is there a
> > better one out there ???
>
> Yep.  Get a Pierce header.  The guy at Pierce said that he found
> Pacesetter to not be a great fit, and he's been making headers for
> foreign cars for years.  I bought my intake for my DGV and exhaust
> header from him.  I did have to shave a little off the intake to get it
> to fit, but my alignment shafts were a bit bent so that was probably my
> fault.
>
> > 2) Monza exhaust ...  Looks nice but from what I have heard,
>
> It is loud ... but it's so cool.  See pics on my web page for shots of
> exhaust and the engine bay w/the DGV and headers.

>  __.o,\____  *       Eric Mumford          *   ('v')  -> BA-KUK!
> /__ \ /  _ ) *      mumford@rpi.edu        *  ((   ))
>  (+)`---(+)  * http://travolta.stu.rpi.edu * --"---"--o

                                                           '67 Sprite