Re: Insurance

To: spridgets@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: Re: Insurance
From: b-evans@ix.netcom.com
Date: Sat, 11 Apr 1998 10:01:42 -0700
Sender: owner-spridgets@Autox.Team.Net
I dunno, but I have found insurance to be like anything else on the
marketplace--you get what you pay for.  And there is no free lunch
unless you are mooching off the other guy's plate.  Personally, I have
been more than satisfied with my insurance from State Farm.  When
shopping for insurance, there are a number of factors people should keep
in mind.

1.  Mileage is a major factor in setting rates.  On one car, I have
opted for a policy that is based on less than 7,500 annual miles of
non-business driving.  If I wanted more annual mileage, I would have to
pay more.  Fair enough.

2.  Collision and comprehensive insurance rates are based on "book
value".  If I wanted my cars insured for a higher value, my insurance
agent will arrange it, but I would have to pay a higher premium.  Fair
enough.

3.  There have been times when I knew that I would not be driving a car
for an extended period of time, and I simply have my agent put the
insurance in suspension for that period.  If, for example, I am going to
be in England for a couple of months, the insurance is suspended for
that time period.  That way, I don't pay the insurance company, and they
don't insure the car.  Fair enough.

4.  Keep in mind that some insurance companies want to specialize and
all insurance companies don't want to insure all risks.  Some will
simply have higher rates to discourage the business, and the customer
will have to go elsewhere if they want a cheaper rate.  Fair enough.

5.  The time to know the provisions of your policy is BEFORE you need
it, and before you get surprised.  That policy is a legal document to
which both the company and the insured have agreed beforehand.  Fair
enough.

Incidently, I have no connection to any insurance company other than a
customer who pays sky-high premiums.  My only gripe about insurance is
with the dirt-bags running around without insurance that force ME to pay
higher rates, and the money-grubbing "victims" and lawyers out to make
big money off the rest of us.

Just a thought.

Bob Evans
Anaheim, California