Re: Taking a 67 Sprite out of deep storage...

To: mbrouill@ix.netcom.com, spridgets@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: Re: Taking a 67 Sprite out of deep storage...
From: Dwgwater@aol.com
Date: Wed, 12 Aug 1998 14:19:18 EDT
Sender: owner-spridgets@Autox.Team.Net
I'd check the radiator carefully before paying $5000 for the car (which seems
a bit high anyway) I'd suspect the coolant additives gave up the ghost long
ago and rusty water passages will likely lead to overheating and a gunked up
radiator.

After changing all the fluids (including the gas which is likely very very
gummy), take out the plugs, squirt some oil into the holes and spin the engine
with the plugs out to distribute clean oil without loading the bearings  with
a running engine.

Ultimately you'll want to replace rubber parts like brake & clutch hoses and
you'll find out soon the condition of the rest of the hydraulics.

I wouldn't let the seller get too far telling you its a "low mileage" car.
IMO, miles are very irrelevant with a car that old.. in fact more miles means
it's been run and maintained.  lack of maintenance is always the enemy of
these cars.  Why was it laid up for 25 years?   Often the reason is there was
something wrong that the owner didn't want to fix, but couldn't see unloading
it, when he/she would only get a couple hundred bucks for the car and there
was free storage.   It was only 6 years old when it was put away in 1973.
What was the resale value of the car then when one could be bought new a
couple thou?   What did these cars sell for new?  My dad bought a 67 Mercedes
200 Diesel new for $2700 as i recall.  But I ramble........

Dave Groundwater 70 Midget, (purchased in 1986 from the original owner for
$1850))