Re: Taking a 67 Sprite out of deep storage...

To: M Brouillette <mbrouill@ix.netcom.com>
Subject: Re: Taking a 67 Sprite out of deep storage...
From: Ulix Goettsch <ulix@u.washington.edu>
Date: Wed, 12 Aug 1998 12:32:04 -0700 (PDT)
Cc: spridgets@Autox.Team.Net
Sender: owner-spridgets@Autox.Team.Net
Mike,
as you have read in other people's posts, you will spend some $ in getting
this one back on the road.  In this light I would very carefully inspect
the car.
If I were you, if it has ANY rust, I probably wouldn't pay $5K for it.
Does the engine spin over?
Even if it does and even if it has compression, the oil rings could be
gunked up turning it into a smoke machine.
A couple of weeks a go I helped a friend get a 61 Sprite running that had
been sittion under his carport for 6 years.  The car was in good working
order when he parked it (he bought it from me at the time).  He pumped the
brakes every once in a while, but when I stomped on the brakes hard, both
front wheels locked up.  After removal of the front drums, the pistons
were seized and when we got one partially apart, it was filled with a
rusty mess.
In the worst case you might be looking at needing new wheel cylinders,
calipers, master cylinder for both brake and clutch if they are severly
pitted.
New suspension rubbers will be needed, the grease in the front suspension
will be hardened, possibly requiring complete disassembly.

Tell him you pay $5k in running order :-)

Ulix

On Wed, 12 Aug 1998, M Brouillette wrote:

> Folks,
>
>       I'm new to your little world here.  Folks that were at Summit 98, Hi!
>
>   I have the chance to buy a 67 Sprite with 23K miles, that has been stored
> in a heated warehouse for 25 years!  This thing has been rolled from one
> end of the warehouse only over this period.  The motor probably hasn't even
> been turned over in at least 20 yrs.
>
>   The questions I have are these:
>
>  The guy wants $5000 for the car, being a low mileage car, would you do it?
>
>  As the car has been sitting that long, does anyone have a checklist for
> bringing this little guy back to roadworthyness?
>
>                                       Mike B

                                                           '67 Sprite