Re: Sway Bars.

To: Andrew Griffith <Andrew.Griffith@ReadRite.com>
Subject: Re: Sway Bars.
From: Ulix Goettsch <ulix@u.washington.edu>
Date: Thu, 24 Sep 1998 11:27:50 -0700 (PDT)
Cc: "'spridgets@autox.team.net'" <spridgets@Autox.Team.Net>
Sender: owner-spridgets@Autox.Team.Net
Drew,
first of all, some numbers in your email come across funny.
You describe the stock bar as having a diameter of "pi" inches, the
thicker ones as "less than or equal" or 7/8" diameter.  Did you use fancy
symbols for these?

The factory bar will make a big difference and in my view is just right
for an otherwise stock car.  Anything thicker will induce understeer and
I like oversteer.
I had a 3/4" bar installed and it causes major understeer.
I would like to try it together with a rear bar, but don't have one yet.

You can make the stock bar a little stiffer by using PU center bushings
from Mini Mania.
I don't think it really wears out.

I would try a factory one first, since you'll need some of the stock
bracketry anyway for a bigger bar.

Ulix

On Thu, 24 Sep 1998, Andrew Griffith wrote:

> Hello again,
> I'm also shopping for a front sway bar for my '62 MK2 Sprite and I'm
> wondering about the size vs. cost considerations. Currently the car
> doesn't have one at all.
> I've seen a few people and salvage yards selling the used factory ½"
> ones from $25 to $5, but could these be tired and worn out? Do these
> bars wear out?
> If I spend the money and buy a new thicker one, ¾ or 7/8", what
> difference could I expect from slightly aggressively road driving over a
> used ½" bar?
> I would expect that I will see a big difference from no bar at all to
> any size bar, but are the new ones worth it if I'm not racing on a
> track?
>
> As always your advice is always appreciated,
>
> Drew

                                                           '67 Sprite