Re: Sway bar mounting bolts

To: "Peter Samaroo" <mrbugeye@hotmail.com>
Subject: Re: Sway bar mounting bolts
From: Hans Huber <hans@desmodromic.com>
Date: Thu, 24 Sep 1998 11:22:54 -0600
Cc: spridgets@Autox.Team.Net
Sender: owner-spridgets@Autox.Team.Net
Carroll Smith (he of _Engineer/Prepare/Tune to Win_ fame)
says that one should never use SAE graded hardware for
stressed applications in racing cars.  For these applications,
AN (aircraft) fasteners are superior.  You may be able to find
an aircraft supply retailer near you, or you can mail-order
(or web-order!) AN hardware from Aircraft Spruce
(www.aircraft-spruce.com).  Their catalog is KickAss(tm)
(if you'll pardon the expression). Pegasus racing also
carries a limited range of AN hardware (800.688.6946).

That said, It don't think you'll have any problems with
grade 8 (or 5) fasteners available at most hardware stores.
AN hardware may be overkill, but it's the best, and besides
(to borrow an expression from Scott Fisher) it's so cool it
curls my toes just to think about it :-)

-Hans "Next I'll be building light aircraft" Huber

Postscript: A brief AN sizing guide:
AN (Army-Navy) stuff is all specified in numbers which are
the size in sixteenths of an inch.  The thread pitch
corresponds to SAE fine. e.g. AN3 bolts are 3/16"x32 TPI
(better known as #10-32).  AN4 are 4/16", or 1/4-28, etc.
Bolts are sized by "grip length", i.e. the non-threaded
portion of the bolt shaft.  What this means is that you
have to get just the right size, because there aren't any
extra threads to make up the difference if the bolt is too
long.  There's usually just enough threads for a washer or
two and and Nylock nut.  (hey, shouldn't I be working?)