Re: Sway bar mounting bolts

To: <Lancer7676@aol.com>, <ckotting@iwaynet.net>, <carlson@navtech.com>, <spridgets@Autox.Team.Net>
Subject: Re: Sway bar mounting bolts
From: "Steve Byers" <byers@cconnect.net>
Date: Thu, 24 Sep 1998 23:36:54 -0400
Sender: owner-spridgets@Autox.Team.Net
One aircraft structural engineer chiming in here.
When a car, or aircraft, or bridge is being designed, one criterion for
selection of fasteners is the maximum (limit) load that they are ever
expected to see.  Add to this some margin of safety to account for unknowns
and you arrive at the ultimate load.   The fastener material and size is
then selected to ensure that the fastener can accept its ultimate load
without fracture (with environmental factors considered also).  These are
static, as opposed to fatigue, considerations.

It is true that for some fastener materials, heat treating to a higher
strength also results in brittleness,  The material becomes more sensitive
to shock loads, particularly if there are nicks or scratches on the surface
of the fastener that can serve as "stress risers".  Under shock or
alternating (fatigue) loads, cracks may develop that could lead to sudden
failure.
Obviously, you do not want to use a very high-strength, fatigue-sensitive
fastener in that application.  The fastener salesman is correct in general.
 A higher strength fastener than what was originally installed is not
necessarily a good thing.

Steve Byers
Havelock, NC USA
'73 Midget GAN5UD126009G  "OO NINE"
"It is better to remain silent, and be thought a fool
than to speak, and remove all doubt"  -- Mark Twain