RE: Sway bar mounting bolts

To: Curtis Carlson <carlson@navtech.com>, spridgets@autox.team.net
Subject: RE: Sway bar mounting bolts
From: "Thorpe, Jeffrey" <jthorpe@kilstock.com>
Date: Thu, 24 Sep 1998 12:19:00 -0400
Sender: owner-spridgets@autox.team.net
Curtis,

Stainless steel fasteners are not the strongest and are not recommended
for critical applications.  I believe that they actually have less
tensile and shear strength than Grade 5, and I am positive that they are
weaker than Grade 8.  The stainless is harder than grade 5 or 8, but
also more fragile.

If you want the strongest bolts available, you need to find some
aircraft-grade bolts (there is a technical term for these but I can't
think of it off the top of my head).  Aircraft Spruce & Specialty
(aricraft-spruce.com)(?) has a large selection of whatever they are
called.

There is a terrific book called Nuts, Bolts & Specialty Fasteners (or
something close) written by a race engineer whose name escapes me.  If
you can find it through Amazon, etc.,  it will be of great help.

Jeff Thorpe
'60 Bugeye