Re: Fiberglass Floorboards (was Re: DIY Carpet + DPO)

To: ulix@u.washington.edu, spridgets@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Fiberglass Floorboards (was Re: DIY Carpet + DPO)
From: Ajhsys@aol.com
Date: Sun, 17 Jan 1999 20:39:59 EST
Sender: owner-spridgets@autox.team.net
In a message dated 1/16/99 1:58:33 PM Eastern Standard Time,
ulix@u.washington.edu writes:

<< On Sat, 16 Jan 1999 Ajhsys@aol.com wrote:

 > When we warm up a bit I will be removing the seats and floor carpet to see
 > what condition the floorboards are in.  Since I am not going for concours
(I
 > just want to have fun!) I may reinforce the floorboards with fiberglass.  I
 > bought some Corroless from Eastwood when I went out there, to seal the rust
 > first.

 Allen,
 before you do this, I would make sure thet the floorboards do not flex.
 If the do, the fiberglass might break away from the metal and by the
 capillary effect (moisture gets sucked into small cracks) you will get
 major rusting.
 If the floorboards are structurally sound, I would use a 4" grinder with a
 twisted wire brush attachment to get rid of as much rust as possible.
 Then you could use some POR-15.  This will add *some* strength to them.

     Ulix                                       __/__,__      ___/__|\__
                                               '67 Sprite     '74 X1/9 >>

That's what I like about this list.  Thanks, Ulix.  I will check how solid the
floorboards are before proceeding.  I bought a can of Corroless from Eastwood.
I hope it works as well as POR15.  (I am not trying to start a thread here!)
I am not going to try to repair rusted floorboards with paint, I just hope the
Corroless will prevent the rust from getting worse, until I can afford the
time and expense of replacing the floorboard.

Allen Hefner
'77 Midget (DSP)
'92 Mitsubishi Expo LRV Sport (HS)