Re: $30,000 Bugeye

To: spridgets@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: $30,000 Bugeye
From: Mike Maclean <macleans@earthlink.net>
Date: Wed, 20 Jan 1999 17:45:41 -0800
Sender: owner-spridgets@autox.team.net
To all listers,
I know this thread died out quite a while ago, but I just spoke to Rob
Garofalo on the phone.  I had mailed him hard copies of what was said on
the Spridget list about his car.  You wouldn't want to talk about
someone behind his back, would you?  All this talk of just driving the
damn thing sort of struck Rob as uninformed opinions.  And you know what
they say about opinions...  Rob wants everyone to know that he had the
best of both worlds when he did his World Class Restoration.  Rob also
owns another 60 Bugeye that has been in his posession since 1964.
Although it has a 1275, he has not missed the Bugeye driving experience
for one minute.  His $30,000 (the price the guy that bought it from him
wants) did not start out as a Gold Level restoration, but it turned out
that way.  That's when the dilemma of what to do with it struck him.
All of the parts on that car were NOS.  There were no reproduction
parts.  It even had original C-41 Dunlop (38 years old) tires on it when
it was judged.  Do you really think you would just drive this car?  How
could you do another restoration to that level again?  He did what he
thought was his only option, sell the car to a collector who would take
care of it.  This collector later turned out to be a dealer! This is why
you see the $30,000 price tag on it.
Rob abd I just wanted to set the record straight.
Mike MacLean-60 Sprite