RE: Hardtop Questions

To: mhanna@ball.com, spridgets@autox.team.net
Subject: RE: Hardtop Questions
From: Bkitterer@aol.com
Date: Sat, 30 Jan 1999 02:38:40 EST
Sender: owner-spridgets@autox.team.net
Mark,

We may be saying the same thing from different directions. DHMC did indeed
make hardtops that use higher side curtains.  But of all the hardtops built
for the AN5 I am reasonably sure that the DHMC tops are among the rarer tops.
That is that most of the hard tops that folks are likely to find are either
factory or third party hard tops which use the same side curtains as the soft
top.  Looking at a hard top to see if the window opening goes almost straight
back from the windshield pillar or if it curves up about 2 inches will give a
buyer a clue as to which size side curtain is needed.  Sprinzel's "Spritely
Years" is loaded with photographs of Bugeyes with various hardtops.  A quick
count looks like more ralley cars have high side curtains and the road racing
cars tend to have the lower side curtains, for what ever that is worth.

Bob and Annice
1960 Sprite (Mk IV in disguise)