Re: Fw: Diffs.

To: Guy@weller-lakes.freeserve.co.uk
Subject: Re: Fw: Diffs.
From: Paul A Asgeirsson <pasgeirsson@juno.com>
Date: Sun, 25 Apr 1999 18:17:13 EDT
Cc: spridgets@autox.team.net
Sender: owner-spridgets@autox.team.net
On Sun, 25 Apr 1999 18:59:01 +0100 "Guy"
<Guy@weller-lakes.freeserve.co.uk> writes:

>Oh, Great List Knowledge,
>
>The diff on my 1500 has a fair amount of backlash, and this talk of
>broken
>halfshafts is beginning to get to me.  I have had one break before.
>If worn diffs add to the risk .....
>Anyway, what sort of a job is it to rebuild a diff unit, or can I at
>least
>reduce the backlash with shims ?
>
>Guy

 Hi All.

The issue of excessive backlash on the pinion gear is something that
really can't be altered without a NEW ring gear and pinion. Assuming
there is no more than marginally excessive noise from the dif assembly,
the backlash you got is what you are stuck with.  Any attempt at changing
it will result in change of heel, toe, flank and face contact on the ring
gear resulting in horrible changes of sound levels from the rear end.
The correct amount of back lash is etched on the side of the ring gear
near the outer perimeter.  This is for a new one, not one with 35 years
of use on it.  So enjoy the ride and don't fuss about the backlash very
much.

Paul

PAsgeirsson@juno.com