Re: Fw: Diffs.

To: Guy@weller-lakes.freeserve.co.uk
Subject: Re: Fw: Diffs.
From: Paul A Asgeirsson <pasgeirsson@juno.com>
Date: Mon, 26 Apr 1999 22:05:49 EDT
Cc: pasgeirsson@juno.com, toobmany@bigpond.com, spridgets@autox.team.net
Sender: owner-spridgets@autox.team.net
Hi Guy,

What started all this was a suggestion of a lister that the broken axle
was due to too much play in the dif.

I wasn't trying to introduce any confusion, but maybe I did.  The only
place you can fit shims in the dif. is to move either the pinion over to
one side or the other, or to move the pinion forward or back.  These are
procedures best left to a shop with equipment to adjust or set up a new
set of bearings in the dif and/or replace the ring gear and pinion.

Now about the thrust washers.  They are located behind the two sets of
spider gears and they are of two types.  One set is a flat phenolic
washer that rarely wears down, on one set of gears that the axle shaft
end fits into, and the other is a set of cup shaped copper washers behind
the other two spider gears.  They work against a rather small surface
area and wear down somewhat more rapidly.  Now when they wear down, the
mating surfaces of the spider gears move out to the ends of the teeth,
leaving them more vulnerable to breaking.  Now here's a bit of info.  I
have replaced only one set in almost thirty years of driving LBC's and
working on customers cars.  Maybe it's just good luck.

The only time you would normally access these pieces is when you need to
remove a piece of stuck, broken axle shaft.  Otherwise, it's no big deal
you don't worry much about this.

On cars that are raced with stock differentials and do a lot of one wheel
spinning on take off, that's a different story.  They will be prone to
high rates of wear, but usually something else will go south (kaput!) so
this whole assembly is tossed and another used one is installed.

Paul

PAsgeirsson@juno.com