Re: driving light and generator

To: "Paul A. Dolloff, Ph.D." <pauld@ekpc.com>
Subject: Re: driving light and generator
From: "Larry Miller" <millerls@ado13.com>
Date: Thu, 9 Sep 1999 08:50:57 -0700
Cc: <spridgets@autox.team.net>
Sender: owner-spridgets@autox.team.net
Peter C. described the "Why" quite well.

This is a description of my headlight wiring.

I used a heavy duty dual circuit relay from JC Whitney. It has two separate
circuits each with it's own internal fuse, one for high beams and one for
low beams.

This unit has 5 connections, 1) low beam in, 2) low beam out, 3) high beam
in, 4) high beam out, 5) battery.

a. 16ga wire from main fuse box to light switch.
b. 16ga wire from light switch to dimmer.
c. 16ga  wire from dimmer switch to the relay for high beam.
d. 16ga wire from dimmer switch to the relay for low beam.
e. 10ga from battery to relay.
f.  12ga from relay to high beams.
g. 12ga from relay to low beams.

The 16ga wire from the dimmer only provided power to the relay. The relay
makes the connection between the 10ga from the battery and the output to the
lights.

You could also use two single circuit relays.

A similar setup will work for driving/fog lamps.

I hope this makes sense.

Larry Miller
http://www.ado13.com
If life was fair, Elvis would be alive and all the impersonators would be
dead.-Johnny Carson