Re: PCV on a different manifold

To: Bryan Vandiver <Bryan.Vandiver@Eng.Sun.COM>
Subject: Re: PCV on a different manifold
From: Ulix Goettsch <ulix@u.washington.edu>
Date: Mon, 29 Nov 1999 15:41:28 -0800 (PST)
Cc: trunkie@hotmail.com, spridgets@autox.team.net
Sender: owner-spridgets@autox.team.net
Andy and Bryan,

If you used a PCV valve from an early 1275 you should be fine.
On those years, the PCV valve connects directly to the intake manifold.  A
hose goes from there to the engine front cover oil separator.
There is no fitting on the valve cover, but a vented oil cap is used to
let air into the engine.

You should use a Y and connect the PCV valve to both sides of the
manifold.

The PCV system that connects to the carbs directly that Bryan refers to
was used on later 1275s and didn't use an external PCV valve.

Good luck, Ulix

On Mon, 29 Nov 1999, Bryan Vandiver wrote:

> Andy,
>
> I think I have the same setup as you, (DHLA 40, LCB, 1275). I'm still working
>on
> the PVC problem, but I can tell you what I've tried, and what the problems
>were.
>
> The original SU Setup, has a provision for PVC on the side of each
>carburetor,
> that is on the 'outside' of the throttle plate, this means that when the
> throttle is closed (idle, etc.) there is 'minimum' vacuum on the PVC system.
> However, on the sidedraft setup, the vacuum ports are on the engine side of
>the
> throttle plates, giving you maximum vacuum when the throttle is closed.
>
> I tried hooking up the breather hose, off the timing cover to my intake, but
> because the vacuum is so strong at idle, it actually sucks oil up from the
> engine into the intake, resulting in large amounts of smoke in the exhaust,
> especially when the engine is cold. I tried using several types of PVC
>valves,
> and the largest inside diameter hose I could fit,  but still had the same
> result.
>
> I think the best bet, is to pull the PVC off the valve cover to minimize oil
> into the intake manifold. I found a valve cover at a swap meet that I'm going
> try as soon as my car comes back from the body shop (a pickup backed into
>it).
> In any case, I'll let you know how it goes.
>
> BTW - There is no balance tube on my intake either, so I have a  Y connector
> that splits my PVC between the two sides of the intake.
>
> Regards,
> Bryan Vandiver (59-bugeye)
> San Jose, CA

> >To: spridgets@autox.team.net
> >Subject: PCV on a different manifold
> >
> >howdy,
> >Does anyone have any tricks or tips for restoring the crankcase ventilation
> >on my sprite, since I put the dellorto carb and manifold on which has no
> >real provision for it?
> >The manifold has holes in each 'barrel' but they are presently blocked up
> >with screws. Is it OK for the PCV to go into just one barrel , and thus only
> >two of the cylinders? A balance tube between them with an outlet would be
> >handy...
> >Im getting an annoying rattle from the extractor hitting the chassis rail
> >when the engine wobbles...I need to cushion it somehow.
> >thanks
> >Andy

http://students.washington.edu/~ulix/         '67 Sprite     '74 X1/9