Re: Solenoids and WLG wires

To: Larry Macy <macy@bblmail.psycha.upenn.edu>, "Frank Clarici" <spritenut@Exit109.com>
Subject: Re: Solenoids and WLG wires
Date: Fri, 14 Apr 2000 14:33:29 -0500
Cc: "Spridgets" <spridgets@autox.team.net>
Larry,
        I guess I can help, maybe.
        Your old COIL had 2 wires going to the + post. 1 comes directly from the
RUN terminal on the IGN switch through the ballast resistor or ballasted
wire. The other comes from that extra terminal on the Solenoid which is
energized only when the IGN switch is on START. The first wire provides ~7v
whilst running and the second 12v whilst cranking.
        My recommendation for simplicity sake is to put on a coil like the
original for a ballasted system and the original 4 terminal solenoid (Lucas
# SRB-335 which is not listed in Lucas' books, btw)
        Ok, so you wont do that... then I think you'd have to revert back to a 4
terminal (v. 5) ignition switch, and I'm not sure that is practical. You
could remove the ballast to enable your coil to work properly (it wants 12v
to be fed to it), but that doesn't help the solenoid issue.
        Does that help?
        Peter
-