Re: a white stock bugeye

To: macy@bblmail.psycha.upenn.edu, cfchrist@earthlink.net, AH1962SP@aol.com, spridgets@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: a white stock bugeye
Date: Mon, 17 Apr 2000 13:33:38 EDT
In a message dated 4/17/00 10:14:56 AM Eastern Daylight Time,
macy@bblmail.psycha.upenn.edu writes:

<< >if and i cringingly repete if an individual of questionable nature were to
 >restore a vintage pinto it would not be technically allowed a vintage
 >registration with a improved fuel tank(safety cell).  the state laws are
 >just abut too strict in the statement about "being as it left the factory".
 >now i understand this reasoning.  that does not mean i suport it. >>

- - - - - - - - - - - - - -

Pardon me for interrupting this thread, but I wasn't really following it.  I
noticed something chuck posted, so I read further.  DON'T TRY TO GET AROUND
PA LAW!!!  Register it as a "collectible car" so you can modify it any way
you want.

In PA to register a car for street use, as antique or classic, the car must
be "substantially in conformance with manufacturers specifications" and that
is right off the MV-11 form.  If the gas tank is replaced with a safer one,
it still has a gas tank, so it is substantially the same.  The form is not
strict about being as it left the factory.

If you make major modifications, register it as a collectible.  Especially if
you swapped engines, or did any body work.  The chuck/Shelby Bugeye nosecone
would qualify.

Remember, every state is different, but this is PA law.  If you need the
MV-11 form, I can e-mail it in .pdf format.

Now back to your regularly scheduled cat thread.

Allen Hefner
SCCA Philly Region Rally Steward
'77 Midget
'92 Mitsubishi Expo LRV Sport