The Garage

To: "'spridgets@autox.team.net'" <spridgets@autox.team.net>
Subject: The Garage
Date: Tue, 2 May 2000 09:16:41 -0400
I love this thread! As I may have written previously, when we bought this
house 6 years ago - there was no garage, so I had one built. The 'Garage 0'
M' Dreams'...

- 24 x 30 - fits two Bs, a Midget, benches, shelves, and still room to
swing the proverbial cat (uh-oh)
- obligatory octagonal window
- power outlets in the ceiling, two separate banks of breakers
- waist-high plugs every six feet all the way around...'cept for the
door....(which just got it's automatic opener - no more trying to call
ahead to get someone to open the door in the rain!) again, on three
separate circuits
- had a clothes dryer vent mounted in the foundation near the door to act
as exit for exhaust hose, for those rare occasions when a car has to be run
with the door closed. This also works as a vent for my little paint booth,
simply attach the length of dryer hose that runs from the mini booth.
- 220 curcuit for the ceiling mounted warehouse heating unit (doubles as a
fan in summer)
- a 220 curcuit, wired to 110 specifically for my compressor
- a BF sound system, AM, FM, CD, Cassette
- phone
- cable outlet (for those Sunday morning F1 races - lug the wife's mini TV
out there)
- rigged up a pulley system to hang the B and Midget hardtops from the
ceiling. I have several noggin marks from the height adjustment period...
- the bench runs almost the full width of the back wall, once again with
plugs about every 3 feet, again on separate circuits from the ceiling and
other walls..
- and most important - SMOKE/FIRE AND CARBON MONOXIDE ALARMS! Plus two
extinguishers, as someone mentioned, at each end of the garage.
- I was fortunate to still have a lot of wall space, even with shelving all
over the place, so the finishing touch - Automobilia! I have an MG steering
wheel collection(6), grilles from a B, a Z Magnette, and a MG 1300. A large
silk-like showroom banner from '64 and the introduction of the B ("All new
from stem to stern.."), two large metal 'service' signs - one with the BMC
rosetta, the other the Leyland 'L', licence plates from every car I've ever
owned, all kinds of metal signs and posters, including one from the
'92/'93? CART season, personally autographed by Scott Goodyear - the year
he missed Indy by the proverbial - hair....(He's a Canadian, eh? Wasting
away in the Indy League, but I digress..)

Last summer, with time on my hands, I replicated the MG logo as used on the
radio blanking plate - and painted it on one section of the wall - it's
about 6' long, 2 1/2 feet high....the logo, not the wall....

All in all, it's a great place to be...the neighbours think it's some kind
of shrine...

Well...yeah...

This is after years and years of a) no garage b) crappy garages w/ no room

Terry 'Taking The Rest Of The Week Off To Play In Said Edifice" Williams
'70 BGT
'68 MG roadster
'77 Midget