Re: GUN CONTROL*NO LBC CONTENT* DELETE NOW IF NOT INTERESTED

To: type79@ix.netcom.com, spridgets@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: GUN CONTROL*NO LBC CONTENT* DELETE NOW IF NOT INTERESTED
Date: Wed, 12 Jul 2000 17:51:31 EDT
In a message dated 07/12/2000 8:42:42 AM Pacific Daylight Time,
type79@ix.netcom.com writes:

<< questions that always go through my mind when the
 "defense of person and property" argument is raised.

 What is the occurrence rate of residential break-ins in which the intruders
are
 armed?

 Of those break-ins, what is the rate of injuries, minor or fatal, to
occupants
 of those homes?

 Of those break-ins, what is the rate of successful defenses by armed home
 owners?

 Personally, I don't buy these "wild west" arguments. I would feel as
violated as
 the next person if my home were burglarized, but I don't think the intruder
 should be put to death for breaking and entering.  >>

Jay,

All I can say to your side of the argument is that if I am the one whose
house is broken into the very last things I will want to contemplate is the
odds against it happening, or the odds that I may go through it unharmed.

The odd are I will never flip my midget.  How often does that happen in the
US, but I do wear my seat belt and I am shopping for a roll bar.

I want to control as much as possible about the circumstances that may take
my life.  The seat belts, the roll bar, the possible break in.  I do not want
to leave it up to the grace of God, or the grace of some punk that breaks
into my house, as to whether I may or may not die.

As for the successful defense of a home, the percentage of those that did it
successfully are the ones living to tell about it.  The mistaken shootings of
friends or family point more to a need for training (or safer neighborhoods
where no one need worry), rather than the removal of guns from the home.

Having said that, I personally do not keep a loaded gun in the house, or even
have quick access to a gun from my bedroom, but I do firmly believe in
anyone's right to do so.

And no, that does not extend to the right of of doper to keep a loaded stolen
gun within reach of a kid in a crack house.

Always good arguing with you Jay.  Thanks,

R. Houston

PS..no I do not think an intruder should be put to death for breaking and
entering, but I would like every burgler or potential burgler in America to
worry that breaking into my house could cost him his life.  Perhaps that is
why crime has shown a decrease in the 27 or so states with a "concealed
carry" law on the books.  The old west virtue of an armed society is a polite
society.