Re: Oh Sh*^

To: kate & gary <kgb@clipper.net>
Subject: Re: Oh Sh*^
Date: Fri, 22 Sep 2000 23:09:59 -0400
Cc: Spridgets <spridgets@autox.team.net>
kate & gary wrote:

> Trevor,
> If you weren't in Ontario, I'd show you how to stay awake behind a 1275!!!!
> That's just where your 1500 would be.......BEHIND my 1275.

  Speaking of "here we go again", here we go again with the A-series
devotees comparing built up 1275s with stock 1500s. While were making
useless comparisons, I think your 1275 would be BEHIND my
69 e-type! ;>

  I meant the comment in jest, we've gone around this many times,
and it's always the same points. 1500 owners point to facts, and
1275 owners anecdotally tell stories or talk about built-up
A-series engines beating stock 1500s.

  Actually Practical Classics just did another article on
buying a Spridget and the numbers were there again.

  Midget Mk I, 948cc, 42bhp@5500, 53ftlb/3000
  0-60mph in 20 sec, 86mph top speed

  Midget Mk II, 1098cc, 56bhp@5750, 62ftlb/3250
  0-60mph in 17 sec, 90mph top speed

  Midget Mk III, 1275cc, 65bhp@6000, 72ftlb/3000
  0-60mph in 14.6 sec, 95mph top speed

  Midget 1500, 1493cc, 55hp@5000rpm, 73ftlb/2750
  (different HP measure)
  0-60mph in 12.3 sec, 101mph top speed

  2.3 seconds advantage in 0-60, 6mph on the top
speed. Game, set, match, 1500.

  (speaking of "here we go again", expect a flood
of emails saying "95mph? I did 145 in my totally
stock 1971! And that included towing 5 hangers-on
admiring my round wheel arches!")

--
Trevor Boicey, P. Eng.
Ottawa, Canada, tboicey@brit.ca