Re: Engine on Ebay

To: "tim roy" <bquietroy@neo.rr.com>, <type79@ix.netcom.com>
Subject: Re: Engine on Ebay
Date: Sat, 20 Jan 2001 17:37:32 -0500
Cc: <BritishCarMan@aol.com>, <spridgets@autox.team.net>
By the time you are stripping down any motor it's usually got some
measure of beaucoup miles on it.

One - your piston to cylinder clearance will most likely be well
beyond new factory tolerances.

Two - but if not outside the specified wear limits you certainly
can put back the old pistons.

Three - if you are closer to the wear limits than the factory
tolerances then this is foolish economy.

The trouble is if the pistons are kinda OK, well then do you
really need a new cam chain, oil pump, shave the head, boil the
block, valve guides etc. etc.

My take is you take the damn thing apart to fix something specific
or you take the damn thing apart to rebuild it. If rebuilding,
then replace everything that is not within factory or engineering
specs, with main and big end bearings always mandatory because
they cheap. If budget is constrained then I would lean towards a
full monty on the block, and skimp on the head, because you can
always get at the latter later.

Mike L.
60A.67E,59Bug