Re: Engine on Ebay

To: type79@ix.netcom.com
Subject: Re: Engine on Ebay
Date: Sat, 20 Jan 2001 14:56:48 -0500
Cc: BritishCarMan@aol.com, spridgets@autox.team.net
type79@ix.netcom.com wrote:

> I don't recall the original email, but from my own experience, I don't
> understand how one could rebuild an engine for $530.00 and Jaime, with all due
> respect, I would not consider an engine as "rebuilt", using old pistons.
>
> Others may disagree and I would be interested in hearing opinions from listers
> experienced in multiple A-series rebuilds.

I have rebuilt many A series engines.
Alot of them have been rings and bearings only with a quicky head recon.
They work fine and last years.

I have also done "total" rebuilds with new pistons, complete machine
shop work, and everything else involved.
I usually do this to a performance engine.

Either way, I have only had 1 engine turn out unsuitable for driving.
It did not knock or smoke, but it had a hell of a vibration.
This was 2 weeks before Sprite Rush 98 and I needed an engine in a
hurry, I took the pistons and bearings out of the vibrating engine and
popped them into a boat anchor 1275 block I acquired in a hurry. The
anchor was seized up, I swapped parts and it is still running fine today
in the A40.
No machine work other then a home hone job with a cordless drill and a
cylinder hone.

Where do you draw the line? A new crankshaft for $1000 or a complete
running Spridget for the same price?

I am refering to street cars and not race or track cars. That is a whole
different subject.

--

Frank Clarici
Toms River, NJ