Fw: 5 Speed Tranny Kit

To: David Ramsey <dwramsey@worldnet.att.net>
Subject: Fw: 5 Speed Tranny Kit
Date: Mon, 19 Mar 2001 18:48:41 -0500
Cc: Spridgets <spridgets@autox.team.net>
Hi Crash,

Thanks for bringing this up, Crash

The front and rear seals on the Datsun trans are the same dimension, but of
different design.  I now supply a new rear seal that is a double lip one
just as the Datsun rear one is.  It of course doesn't have the big shield
around it as the originals do, so it doesn't have an interference problem
in the Spridgets tunnel area.  This double lip seal seems to do the job of
keeping out the sticks and stones and keeping in the gear oil.

Regards, Paul A

FROM:   "David Ramsey", INTERNET:dwramsey at worldnet.att.net
TO:     Spridgets, INTERNET:spridgets@autox.team.net
DATE:   3/19/01 5:56 PM

Re:     Fw: 5 Speed Tranny Kit

One thing I have found is that Paul's flyer doesn't say anything about the
rear tranny seal.  The Datsun seal has a big shield around the front of the
drive shaft that can bang around a bit in the spridget tunnel.  Rivergate
uses a smaller rear seal (actually a front seal) that is contained inside
the tail shaft housing.  The problem with this seal is, it is a single lip
seal, unlike the stock Datsun one which is a double lip seal.  I've pulled
over 30 Datsun transmissions and have only seen one that was leaking
through
the stock rear seal.  My tranny with the Rivergate seal started leaking
within a week. The fix is to either drive two of the single lip seals on at
the same time or take a stock double lip seal and clamp the driveshaft
shield in a vise and hacksaw the seal off flush with the shield, clean well
and install.
        Crash

///