Re: LBC Garage Necessities

To: jurban@caverge.com, spridgets@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: LBC Garage Necessities
Date: Sat, 7 Apr 2001 08:59:04 EDT
In a message dated 04/07/2001 8:18:45 AM Eastern Daylight Time,
jurban@caverge.com writes:

> Wow!  This subject came up at a perfect time.  We just bought an old house
> that has a 5 year old 3 car(20x37) detached garage.  It's setup to have a
> floor poured, but a previous owner just never finished it.  Hopefully
> within 2 weeks I'll have a floor.  The garage also has a truss-type roof -
> any suggestions on how to turn that into parts storage??
>
> Since the Sprite is kept at my parent's garage, I'll finally have my own
> place to work.  But it also means I'll have to get my own tools, supplies,
> and accessories.  Are there any necessary tools or supplies that haven't
> been covered in previous messages?  What is a good floor jack that can

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

Goodonya Jason!  Congrats!

You need to buy a good set of hand tools.  Check Lowes.  Their Kobalt tools
look good and have a lifetime guarantee.  I avoid any of those "quick" type
wrenches that allow you to slip the tool back to get the next grip on the nut
or bolt head.  Slipping over a hex head has to round it some.  Get standard 6
point sockets and combination wrenches, and a few 12 point for tight places.
A good socket set will have regular and deep sockets, with extensions and a
U-joint.  You will need all of that.

I saw a very nice floor jack at Sams Club for $60 - $80 I think.  They also
have some very strong jack stands, and you will need four.  Also check Sams
for a compressor.  Buy the biggest compressor you can afford, when you are
ready for one.  You will be glad you did.  (Lug nuts get very tiring when you
get old!)

Since you are local to us in the Philly area, we will be expecting an
invitation to the grand opening of the garage!

Allen Hefner
Philly Region SCCA Rally Steward
'77 Midget
'92 Mitsubishi Expo LRV Sport