Notes from the pit crew [Was: vacation in latrobe?]

To: Charles Christ <cfchrist@earthlink.net>, Spridgets <spridgets@autox.team.net>
Subject: Notes from the pit crew [Was: vacation in latrobe?]
Date: Mon, 28 May 2001 11:02:12 -0400
I have no idea what was up with Amy's email. She posted a couple times and
they came back. I hope it gets straightened out, can't wait for her take on
the weekend.

My take on the weekend. Very successful, long drive home.

Met up with Frank and Allen in Lansdale, very poor instruction on the part
of someone who WILL remain nameless, caused Frank to drive to Lansdale
instead of near Norristown to meet up. Drove to Bedford PA and spent the
night in a motor hotel. That 5:30 call from Allen came WAAAAAYYYY too early
;-)

Highway 30 to Latrobe (which according to Amy is pronounced Lay-trobe) -
very cool road, too bad we were not in any Spridgets. Walked into the garage
and found Robert VanKirk there, already surveying the scene.

Item one: Up onto jackstands and drop in a new battery.
Item two: Turn key, big POP, Frank quickly switched the wires around, second
try VROOM. A little fiddling with the carbs (something I watched very
closely - I am going to try to go to SU's in the not too distant future) And
it don't run too bad.
Item three: Attack the clutch and brake system. Frank on the clutch MS,
Allen on the Brake MS, Robert on the read brake cyls. Allen and Andy (I
think it was Allen and Andy - I was under the car on the way to becoming
"worst on  Amy's shower") on the front calipers. Bleed the clutch
hydraulics, fire it up and try the tranny and clutch. Clutch is frozen to
the flywheel. Bummer. Frank runs through the gears a few times, not too much
noise from the tranny and while this is going on the clutch freed up. No
need to pull motor and tranny ;-)

The rest of the day was spent on electrics, hydraulics, bleeding tightening,
and replacing various bits and pieces. All the while, was chuck straddling
the exhaust pipe working some very serious magic on the wrecked rear end. He
loved it every time we fired up the car to check something out ;-) (Sorry
chuck, and man was it cool to hear that baby fire on just a quick flick of
the key).  Sometime, late in the afternoon, the car comes down off the
blocks and I get the honor of first drive. Amy and child in passenger seat
and away we go around the block. If you think of an ear to ear grin, that
was Amy. That drive showed up a few things. Really bad right front shock,
BAD u-joints etc. Several quick calls to the insane man in Tamaqua, Kevin,
(He drove down over night, on no sleep) to "order" a few items we needed.

Sunday, up at and it again. Spent the day on a bunch of detail bits to get
it together while listening to chuck scream OW from Amy's ministrations on
his back. Figure he slept on his tiny tummy last night ;-)

Then late in the day, Frank and Andy went for a ride, came back and forced a
very happy Amy to take it around the block. Remember that ear to ear grin I
mentioned. This time the smile joined in the back of her head.

Then we were off and on our way home. Frank dropped me off about 11:30. I
figure he got home around 1 AM. Prolly see his take on this after he gets
up, about 2 PM or so ;-).

The Pit Crew:
Amy S (PA)
Craig S (PA)
Frank C (NJ)
Allen H (PA)
Andy W (WV)
Robert V (GA)
Chuck C (PA)
Kevin V (PA)
Yours Truly (PA)

We did in 2 days what took me nearly 4 months of weekends to do by my self
on my Midget. With the addition of chuck's magic on the body.

Hospitality provided by Amy and Craig. Burgers and chicken, lasagne,
midnight pizza, donuts, pizza, hot dogs and kraut, gallons of coffee and
beer, and a few sodas.

All in all a good time was had by all. And Amy has a running drivable car.

Larry

PS - Me too!!

On 5/27/01 8:44 PM, "Charles Christ" <cfchrist@earthlink.net> wrote:

> it makes me feel rather proud to sit and think as i write this what was
> acomplished and how it was all done.

Larry Macy
78 Midget

Keep your top down and your chin up.