Dealing with Buying a Car

To: Spridgets <spridgets@autox.team.net>
Subject: Dealing with Buying a Car
Date: Mon, 04 Mar 2002 22:19:46 -0800
Greg & Armchair Autobrokers:

I work in a new car dealership in California, and in this state, it isn't a
marriage until you sleep with the bride... In otherwords, the contract is
consummated when the shinny little tail lights cross the curb in the
possession of the new owner.  Deposit or no deposit.   Deposits are
requested by the dealership to increase mental ownership but are fully
refundable if the transaction is not completed.  Since they are going to
refund your deposit, there is nothing you can do to make them honor the
price.  I have a friend who manages a Sacramento Mazda dealership. Give me
the specifics off list, and I can see if they will match your deal.

I've seen customers change their mind in the delivery area and cancel a sale
after everything was signed.  I've also seen management catch a pricing
mistake, run out into the delivery area and cancel a sale.  Everybody is
quick to jump to conclusions about it being a tactic, but mistakes are made.
I've also seen mistakes go the other way, i.e. price is agreed, paper work
is completed, customer leaves with the car, and then we find out we
transposed numbers & lost money.  I'm not implying that they can't do your
deal, or won't with a little arm twisting from you, but I am saying that you
can't make them sell the car.

The exception to this if if they advertised a price on a specific vin#
vehicle on a specific date, then they have to sell that specific vehicle as
advertised, unless it was a misprint, in which case they will have a printed
retraction from the advertiser on display in plain view.

Now as for arm twisting techniques that can prove effective.  1.  Offer to
call Mazda's regional customer service headquarters.  2.  Suggest that you
know a friend who is a California DMV investigator (we have one lurking on
the list if he chooses to reveal himself).  3.  Give a little to get a
little.  Just letting the manager know that you will refer others to his
dealership can help.  4.  Let them know that a dealership outside of the
area is willing to do the deal if they aren't, but that you'd rather do
business locally.

 David Riker
 74 Midget
 63 Falcon