Trans DIY Rebuild (was smoothcase idea)

To: "Paul A. Asgeirsson" <Pasgeirsson@worldnet.att.net>
Subject: Trans DIY Rebuild (was smoothcase idea)
Date: Wed, 09 Apr 2003 10:16:35 -0400
Cc: GMGoodman@aol.com, spridgets@autox.team.net
Paul, and others:

Last Spring, I rebuilt the ribcase in my wife's '69 Sprite to cure some angry
growling from first gear.  I have done transmissions before, (Muncie 4 speed,
Ford
SROD, Saab 96, more) and never thought much of it.  The Sprite turned out fine.
 The
parts came speedily from Moss via British Parts Connection, and there were no
real
mysteries.  New laygear, shaft, various bearings.

My question: do many listers here do their own transmission work?  When I spoke
of
this at my car club meeting, people seemed surprised that an amateur mechanic
would
tackle a job like this.  (Maybe they were surprised that I was able to do it?)

Anyway, I was curious as to whether others consider such work to be DIY stuff.