Re: Now Clubs WAS "A little blue thing in my driveway"

To: spridgets@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Now Clubs WAS "A little blue thing in my driveway"
Date: Wed, 7 May 2003 15:07:01 EDT
Kate said:
<<<If NAMGBR really does want to convince Spridget owners
to join, the easiest way would be a simple name change. Just drop the "B".>>>

Were it that simple, it could easily come to pass. But the other
consideration is the sensibilities of the other Registers - the MMM, the
NEMGTR, NAMGAR and the AMGCR. Dropping the major model designator makes it
look an individual Register is trying to commandeer the MG name. Try to run
that one by Dick Knudson ;-)  Adding Midget to the already long NAMGBR name
would leave out our members with 1100s and 1300s. You could make the same
complaint over Z-Types in NAMGAR or Y-Types in the NEMGTR I suppose.

That was a consideration here in Chicago when the Chicagoland MGB Club
changed its name in 1995. Consideration had to be given to the separate local
MGT and MGA clubs.

More important is content and what you get from the club or organization. I
guess I have enjoyed great luck in never feeling left out or abused for
running a Midget in the Chicagoland MG Club, the Chicagoland MGB Club, or
NAMGBR. I'm at a loss to hear of Midgets or Sprite owners treated as "bastard
stepchildren". I've never seen that happen at any local or regional meet I've
attended here in the midwest or at any national convention.

I don't doubt the accounts of occasional negative experiences in clubs at
all. They happen. But I have found that the positive experiences and
friendships - in my local club, in the Register, on this list - by far
outweigh the negative.

Kim Tonry
Chicagoland MGB Club 1992-1995
Chicagoland MG Club 1995-
NAMGBR 1992 -
MG List 1995 -
Spridgets List - from inception (What year was that???)