Re: 1275 debugging help needed

To: "Kendel McCarley" <kmmccarley@earthlink.net>
Subject: Re: 1275 debugging help needed
Date: Mon, 26 May 2003 10:58:26 -0400
Cc: <spridgets@autox.team.net>
Kendel:  What you have is a compression test kit.  It measures the compression
of the air in the cylinder by the piston as it travels up; it won't tell you
very much about why the compression is low.   (You can of course squirt some oil
into the cylinder and do the test again:  a higher reading indicates worn
rings).  What Gerard is describing is a Differential Cylinder Compression test,
where there are two guages separated by a fixed orifice.  Air is pumped into the
cylinder from an external source and the amount leaking out can be measured on
one of the guages (the other measures the air going in).  Then you can listen to
the carb (hissing indicates intake valve leak); exhaust pipe (hissing
indicates....well you have to guess); and at the oil filler (hissing indicates
worn compression rings).  Pretty cool, but you need the set-up.

Here is a web site I found that describes it pretty well, if you are interested.
http://jtatwins.com/Compression/SB%20Cyl%20Leakage%20Check.htm

And here is a picture of the gizmo:
http://www.longacreracing.com/instructions/inst.asp?INSTID=25

Hope this helps.