Re: 1275 debugging help needed

To: spridgets@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: 1275 debugging help needed
Date: Mon, 26 May 2003 09:11:30 -0700
At 7:18 AM -0700 5/26/03, Kendel McCarley wrote:
>Thanks, Gerard.
>
>Okay, I can add some more information then.
>
>All the original smog equipment is in place.  I did replace the gulp
>valve to stop the thing from going vrooooom, BANG as I accelerated
>and made a shift.

Is there a PCV valve on the intake manifold between the carbs? It
looks like a big round disk a couple inches in diameter. Don't take
it apart as I've heard they will never work right afterwards. I've
never opened one so I can't advise you on how to clean pr refurbish
them.

>I checked airflow at the oil filler cap on top of the valve cover
>and I am pulling a vacumn there, not blowing out air.

That's good. You should still check to see where and how much oil drips below.

>I probably have what I need to do a leakdown test but don't know how
>to do it.  I have a compressor and this particular gauge set
>(http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/ctaf/Displayitem.taf?itemnumber=39224).

That's just a compression gauge. A leak down kit has two gauges. See this link.

http://www.geocities.com/dsmgrrrl/FAQs/leakdown.htm

The only thing I don't see in the explanation is that you should get
the engine to operating temperature before beginning the process. You
should also check the cooling system to see if any air is escaping
via the head gasket.

Gerard