Re: Is this normal??

To: spridgets@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: Re: Is this normal??
Date: Sun, 19 Dec 2004 01:10:24 EST
In a message dated 12/15/04 6:09:09 AM, lewing@sport.rr.com writes:

> > also wich side
> > curtains?  steel framed sewn vynal and clear top window material for
> > windows or aluminum framed sliding plexiglass 2 piece windows?
>
> The Al ones, seems that the tracks or material in them is a little
> iffy..  any ideas on replacement of the felt in there??

Replacing felt is easy.   I am sure there must be a place where you can buy
felt on a roll all cut and ready to go, however I didn't know about it back
then, so I did it from scratch.

1.   If you aren't replacing the windows take them out before felting.   You
will need a piece of scrap window material about 1 x 6 inches for a tool to
work the felt.   One end should be 90 degrees (square) and the other 45
(pointy)
  You'll figure out why you need the pointy end at the corners.

2.   While the frames are still unrestored, take a screwdriver and a wire
brush if necessary to clean out the channel.   Get all the old felt out of the
channel.   Naturally, the closer you are to the beginning of the job, the
sloppier you can be on this part.   You should wait until powder coating or
painting
or polishing is done before you put in the felt so you do have to be a little
careful of the surfaces then.

3.   I bought a minimum amount of felt (flat 72 inches wide by (I think) 9
inches (1/4 yd))   Then I carefully cut two strips 3/4" wide along the long
side, which was enough for both sliders.   Since we know about variables in
Spridgets, this should be wide enough to cover the inside of the track, with a
little room for trimming, and way long.   I used 3M Rubber and Gasket
Adhesive,
which is (or was) a regular adhesive that does not have to be on both sides to
stick.

4.   Apply cement in dots to the bottom of the tracks.   About one dot per
inch is about right on the bottom.   Fold the felt lengthwise and put the
center
in the bottom of the track.   Starting at a corner with the end of the felt
square on the opening, push the center of the felt down with the plexiglass
tool from step 1.   Don't stretch the felt lengthwise.   Apply cement to both
sides of the felt (or the track if it feels better).   This should be about
one
dot per half inch.   Now push the felt down with the tool to secure the sides
of the felt.   Continue till you hit a corner and snip it off square.   There
will be some felt sticking out but it can be trimmed away later.   If the glue
needs to dry, let it.

5.   Very carefully, with a nice sharp X-acto knife and the long side of the
plexiglass tool in the track, cut away the excess felt.   You will scratch the
tool doing this.   Better it than the windows.   Don't cut yourself if you
can help it and   change blades if you need to.

I hope you have nice new windows to replace the old ones.   You can now put
them in place and can't even see that there are new felts there, but you will
be able to hear and feel it.

Annice & Bob
1960 Bugeye (Mk. IV in disguise) "The Sprite"
1966 Sprite Mk. III (Still in Boxes) "Trevor"