Re: License Plates

To: Billy Zoom <billyzoom@billyzoom.com>
Subject: Re: License Plates
Date: Thu, 27 Oct 2005 12:40:22 -0700
Cc: Bud Pazur <bpazur@excel.net>, spridgets@autox.team.net
Billy Zoom wrote:

>Straight pipes are OK as are custom exhausts

It's a judgement call in California.  Vehicle Code Section 27150 simply
prohibits "excessive noise".  That makes it up to the discretion of the
cop or neighbors who might file a complaint.

>if you run a Brooklands racing screen, you'll get a ticket for no wipers even
>though it
>hasn't rained in six months.

Most of the time, that is an "attitude" ticket after being stopped for
another violation.

>The speed limit is 65. The average speed is 75.  Drive 85, and you may get a
>ticket...drive 65, and you'll definitely get the bird.

California has a prima facie speed law.  That means that no matter what
the posted limit is (except on a freeway), you can go as fast as 65 if
YOU can prove it was safe to do so.  And people are found not guiilty
every day when they prove that argument.  In California, prima facie
does not apply if you go over 65 anywhere!  As a general rule, and
except for radar, cops do not issue citations for doing less than 10
miles over the limit,  and more often they use 15 miles over the limit.
On the freeways, CHP may well issue a citation to someone driving as
little as 5 miles over, depending upon traffic conditions and if they
are violated what is known as "CVC 99999" (driving with head up ass").
OR if someone fails the attitude test.  But drive 85 mph in a 65 mph
zone on the freeway, and you are gonna pay the fine if caught.  (If
several cars are doing 85, CHP will go for the lead car unless they are
able to do a "swing" and motion each trailing car to the roadside until
he gets the lead car.)

Of course, this is just from my experience and those of others I
know/have known.  That does not mean that is the way everyone everywhere
handles it.

Buster Evans