Ignition Wiring Problem

To: spridgets <spridgets@autox.team.net>
Subject: Ignition Wiring Problem
Date: Sat, 26 Nov 2005 09:47:44 -0800
The '60 bugeye was running intermittently -- that is, it ran one day and
not another.  I was sure it was that the carbs were flooding trying to
start in the cold weather, but I finally checked and voila, no spark.

Instead of fiddling with the points anymore I installed a Pertronix
electronic ignition.  The engine fired right up and ran BEAUTIFULLY.
Much nicer than it ever has before.

So, of course, I immediately went for a drive, even though it was
threatening rain and dark (I had just got the windshield wipers to
work!) what could go wrong?

Two miles from the house and sputter, run, sputter, dead.  No problem, I
brought a rechargeable flashlight and tools!  Of course, the flashlight
died with 30 seconds.

Now a proud member of AAA I got my free tow home.  Opening the hood
(sorry!  bonnet!) in the light I discovered the + wire from the fuse
block to the distributor had burned away all it's insulation, and
finally melted completely through (thus saving the fuse it was connected
to -- lord knows what I would have done if the fuse had blown [besides
installing the spare one right there]).

So, why did that wire fry?

Chas Douglass