RE: I'll try again...

To: "WFO Herb" <froggi60@yahoo.com>, "Allen Hefner" <ajhsys@gmail.com>,
Subject: RE: I'll try again...
From: "Bud Osbourne" <abcoz@hky.com>
Date: Thu, 2 Mar 2006 20:26:21 -0500
Herb,
My next door neighbor, when I was a little kid, was a Pontiac dealer (this
was in the early to mid 50s).  Later on, in life, I sold new VWs (just long
enough to learn that I did NOT like dealing with the general public).  A
very good friend of mine became service manager at a small MG & Triumph
agency (agency was owned by a former AMC, and VW/Porsche Audi dealer, for
fun).  Without a doubt, what you say is true.  It used to be a fun business,
and with a lot of good, honest, hard-working people in it.  When the
family-owned VW dealership, where I traded for many years, was acquired by a
large, multi-agency, multi-make "automotive super store", things began to go
downhill almost immediately.  A lot of good people were replaced by others
whose obvious goal was, first and foremost (besides staying employed), to
squeeze as much profit out for the company as possible, at the expense of
customer service/relations.  Now, in my area, there are very, very few of
the old, independent, family owned dealerships remaining.  It's all big
business, now.
But, that's part of the Great American Myth: bigger is better.  Along with
"your check's in the mail", and "of course I'll still respect you", and a
few other gems.
Bud Osbourne