Re: Container Ship - no LBC

To: bushwacker4@zoomtown.com
Subject: Re: Container Ship - no LBC
From: derf <derf247@gmail.com>
Date: Sat, 2 Sep 2006 12:07:29 -0500
Hi,
The Chinese can make anything almost as good as anyone else.
The problem is they make stuff for others to others' specs.  A vendor
goes to China and says "Make me a widget for $X".  They make it for
that.  The vendor imports it to the US and sells it for $2X.  It
really isn't the fault of the Chinese that the vendor imports crap.
They just make the crap to the vendor's specs.
I have a friend that imports machine tools from China.  He goes over,
negotiates with the maker, and has his stuff made to his specs.  His
stuff is much better than the Harbor Freight stuff, but not as good as
some high-end German stuff.  But, the stuff is only as good as my
friend wants it to be.  He has to import it and sell it and make a
profit.
So, the Chinese do make crappy stuff, but only if someone buys it.
Then that someone ships it and markets it.  Chinese people think
Americans are stupid becuase of the stuff they see being made and
shippped here.  "Hey, Wong, make me 1,000,000 fart cushions for $0.25
each so I can sell them in America for $0.50 each."  "Okeedokee."

Also, I thought Daewoo is Korean, like Samsung, Kumho and several other makers.

Cheers,
Derf