Re: hood and drums

To: "David Lieb" <dbl@chicagolandmgclub.com>,
Subject: Re: hood and drums
From: "Guy R Day" <grday@btinternet.com>
Date: Tue, 12 Sep 2006 14:12:09 +0100
David,

I find it hard to accept your concept of slop being removed by the set
screw(s).   Are you saying when the vehicle is being driven the set screw is
the item that holds the braking forces applied to the drums against the
mass/momentum of the car when accelerating/braking?  If there was slop
wouldn't there be wear against the thread area of the set screw where it
comes through the brake drum?  The diameter of the screw is insufficient to
prevent slop and as they don't wear there can be no slop.  Any slop is
restricted to the studs/drum interface when the lug nuts are tightened.  But
how many studs are there where you have seen wear or brake drum holes
ovalized due to wear due to slop?
However, I must admit to quiet thoughts the set screws do locate the drum in
its correct centralized position and always use them.  'Mr Lockheed brake
component manufacturer' says differently.  As he designs, makes,  fits and
services the damn things and I've not seen the wear patterns your slop would
create, I've got to accept his version.

All the best,

Guy R Day