Re: hood and drums

To: "Spridget List" <spridgets@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: hood and drums
From: "David Lieb" <dbl@chicagolandmgclub.com>
Date: Tue, 12 Sep 2006 09:00:09 -0500
> I find it hard to accept your concept of slop being removed by the set
> screw(s).   Are you saying when the vehicle is being driven the set screw
> is the item that holds the braking forces applied to the drums against the
> mass/momentum of the car when accelerating/braking?

No, I am NOT saying that. Let me try again . . .
Once the lugnuts have been tightened down, THEY hold the drum in
place. However, what is going to center the drum UNTIL the wheel is
installed? How about some countersunk screws? My 1995 Ford Escort used the
same system, so it isn't just a goofy Brit idea ;-) . The wear you predicate
is not the issue; the issue is better braking thanks to properly-centered
drums.
David Lieb